Sunday, June 14, 2009

Iran is Not Utopia Yet

This morning I sorted through news articles on Iran's election. A week ago I was smiling in the car, listening to an NPR story about the expected victory of Mir-Hossein Mousavi, the opposition to Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I was thinking, "Maybe 2009 is a new year for our little world. Maybe violence, oppression and craziness will just fade out, rather than having to be pushed down."

And with that thought I wondered about a world in which what is rational actually rises to the surface and gains the popularity of entire groups and nations of people. It seemed like a wonderful world to be a part of.

This morning's soundbytes were a range of speakers asking questions about the irregularities of the election results in Iran and voicing opinions about the protests that have turned the hopeful election fever in that country into a black smoke of civil unrest. I came across this little animation project that is reminiscent of that well-done animation "Persepolis."

IRAN: A Nation Of Bloggers from ayrakus on Vimeo.



Whatever ideas I may have had about Iran's possibilities, I was most likely wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I was so disappointed to hear the outcome of this election, too. My husband and I only started following it a few days ago, but I have to admit that I was SO hopeful that things would have turned out differently. It is frustrating, but then I just remind myself that God really still is control. It's just hard to relinquish that sometimes- even when it's not even mine to relinquish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have hope for Iran. They have a young population (average age 27) that I think is becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the isolationism of the current regime. I am always inspired by stories surrounding the fall of the Iron Curtain in East Germany and throughout Eastern Europe. Especially inspiring is the story of the Velvet Revolution in what is now the Czech Republic -- a peaceful mass protest that overwhelmed the ruling elite. In that situation, the sentiment seemed to be two-fold: 1) we reject fear 2) there are more of us than them.

    ReplyDelete

Add to my thoughts here...