Monday, September 7, 2009

Proverbial Diatribe

"And all who were slain by her were strong men."
-Proverbs 7:26

A good man isn't hard to find.
I would argue that a good man is hard to see, if you don't have tastes refined by scripture.

JI Packer said {let me paraphrase} that this generation is afflicted by two diseases: firstly, the horrible feeling that all of life is really quite absurd and there's no point to it; secondly, the sense that nothing that we actually possess tastes as good as the things we dream of.

{Sounds so much like listening to women talk about relationships}

Packer also happens to say that people who know their God will not be afflicted by either of these heart diseases.

Life is not absurd, once you peel your own vanity away.

The things we actually own are more delicious than any of the things we fantasize about having, because they're a gift from God. That's the seasoning that makes them so fine and so beautiful. The blessing makes it taste good. But that's a taste one only learns to appreciate through sacrifice, I suspect.

Anyway--I'm driving back to BGKY after a lovely Labor Day with friends and sugar treats and too much Starbucks.

Only fifteen weeks to go before Winter Break. :\

2 comments:

  1. dear allie, i love this post.

    also, sometime, if you're ever bored... would you like to help me or just completely redesign my blog for me? i am in complete hate with my design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truer words were never spoken. Bliss is in all that we are, and all that we have RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete

Add to my thoughts here...