Friday, August 7, 2009

Discipline, You Undesirable Monster

“Winners compare their achievements with their goals, while losers compare their achievements with those of other people.” --Nido Qubein

For whatever reason, early on in life, I learned to define success as living about two millimeters "just outside" of the danger zone. If things get tight or sticky, I'll move heaven and earth to get to a place of safety and security; I think we all know this game.

But harnessing that momentum into actual goal achievement? That's for the birds, right? Ho, ho, ho--my get up and go is strictly reserved for self-defense and survival, or so it seems.

At the end of the day, someone might tell me, "Hey, look around, most people in our generation are having the same problems." But do I really want to grade my own life on a curve?

Do I want to measure my achievements by what everyone else did or by what I personally set out to do?

This last week has been a triumph in money saving, physical fitness and nutrition. I've been on a discipline roll, thanks be to God.

So it makes sense that instead of keeping that good roll going long enough to enjoy the benefits, I would want to just skip working out and go spend money on pizza at Whole Foods. I'm literally having a 2 sides of the aisle war going on in my head as I type this; one part of me urging for continued discipline on the road to eventual achievement--the other part of me saying, "Stop the horse at this depot, you've gone far enough."

What is my strategy?
Where is my resolution?

Somewhere at the bottom of my laundry pile. As inaccessible and undesirable as Mars right now, for the love of Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to my thoughts here...