Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Morning Grind



This morning went a little something like this:

I woke up when The Cure's Friday, I'm in Love started playing on Booker, and although I would normally shut off my alarm within the first two seconds -- this sound I liked so much that I just held the phone against my chest while staring up at the ceiling until it started its third or forth loop. It was 6:30 a.m.

I read the NYTimes headline stories; I read the early morning Twitter updates from my friends. I read a strange passage out of the bible...on my phone.

Finally I got up and got dressed, methodically choosing items out of Shelby's closet because I'm tired of my clothes. I chose a ruffle shirt that I love and a bright salmon colored sweater to go over it. I picked out a lovely pair of matching earrings, too, right from her wall of jewelry.

I sprayed on perfume, brushed my hair once and pinned it into a bun, washed my face and put on my moisturizer and grabbed my belongings to head out of the house toward sunny Mortgage Company, Tennessee.

The best thing: I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts on Caruthers and picked up half caf coffee with cream and sugar. It's a small thing--but it was so wonderful. I practically danced all the way to my car.

1 comment:

  1. I love mornings like that. Mornings that don't seem difficult to wake up to and are mixed with simple but pure joys.

    ReplyDelete

Add to my thoughts here...